For Mexicans, it is impossible to talk about the Day of the Dead without thinking about Pan de Muerto.
I confess that it seems almost unfair that this delicious recipe is only characteristic of a party throughout the year , and that the rest of the time it is so difficult to get this soft and sugary bread.
So, for the dissatisfied like me, here goes the recipe for bread of the dead, to prepare it when we want and where we want.
Pan de muerto, homemade recipe
This is a delicious sweet bread with a citrus touch based on orange that has a smooth texture. Its preparation is simple, and if you have experience making homemade bread, it will be much easier still.
Traditional dead bread
Do not wait until on November 1 and 2 of each year, to prepare this traditional recipe for cooking: the bread of the dead, typical of the Mexican Day of the Dead.If you do not have time to get ahead, you can take it out right now, and take advantage of the minutes it will take to soak the yeast for the bread in the milk. You can also heat it a little to melt it slightly.
Leave the yeast soaking in the milk . Meanwhile, you can take advantage of to wash the orange and grate its shell, until you get a couple of teaspoons of this ingredient. Reserve them for the moment.
Next, we'll mix the butter with the sugar, 2 cups of flour and salt. We will revolve everything very vigorously, to avoid the formation of lumps.
When we get a mixture homogeneous, we will let it rest for a moment. If you see that the mixture is too doughy, you can lighten it with ¼ cup of warm water, and again, mix until the dough becomes uniform.
Next, we will open a hole in the center of the dough and pour the contents of the eggs. Mix strongly, until they are perfectly integrated. We will take advantage of this stage to add the orange zest.
To continue, we will continue mixing until Incorporate all that remains of the flour, to complete the four cups. We will make it half a cup in half a cup. Each time we add this amount, we will beat until it is completely integrated and then, we will go to the next half cup. The objective is to obtain a smooth, lump-free dough.
Finally, add the milk with the yeast and mix thoroughly.
When our dough is ready, we will prepare a table of clean wood or an equivalent surface, to perform the kneading. The first thing we will do is lightly sprinkle this surface with a little flour.
Then, we will place the dough there and we will continue to knead it until we reach the point where it will no longer stick to our hands. Another option is to work the dough with an electric mixer, until you reach this point.
Then, make a ball with your dough rest, store it in a container covered with cloth and let it rest for at least an hour. At that time, you should increase your size considerably (the idea is to double it, if necessary, leave it a little longer).
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
Beat the remaining egg, to later use it as a varnish for the breads. Reserve.
When the dough is ready, divide it into parts to make balls of the size of tennis balls or baseball. With each one of these, a little flattened, we will make a bread. Reserve a part of the dough to shape the bones and/or crosses, to decorate your breads.
Prepare a tray covered with wax paper to bake the bread. Arrange each ball of dough with enough space with respect to the nearest ones, because the loaves will grow in the oven.Sprinkle with sugar to taste and let cool.
Tips for preparing the bread of the dead
- How we need to consume the skin of an orange for this recipe, it is advisable to get an orange that has not been treated with industrial pesticides. In other words, try to get a bio orange. Your recipe for bread of the dead will be rich with any type of orange, but if you follow this advice, you will save a few chemical substances absorbed by the skin of this fruit.
- There is another option regarding the orange: yes you do not like it, you can omit it from the recipe. This ingredient has the sole purpose of giving more flavor to the bread.
- This may seem obvious, but your bread will be richer if you use butter without salt. I know we will add a pinch of salt to the bread anyway, but it is better to control the amount of this ingredient, than to guess the amount that is mixed with the butter.
- Some people leave the dough to rest for much longer. I have seen recipes that leave it for two hours or even an entire night. To me, I simply win the craving to eat bread.
- You can add to your dough, a couple of teaspoons of orange blossom or orange blossom essence. This ingredient also gives a delicious perfume to the bread. In this case, you do not need to use orange zest.
For other Mexican recipes visit: 100 Mexican dishes that you should try before you die.