Pork ribs: How to make perfect baked ribs
Preparing baked ribs is an art. Let's say it's not a complicated process, at all, but it does require knowing some secrets and of course, a lot of patience. The pork ribs are not done in 1 hour, nor in 2 ... you need 4 hours of cooking to make them perfect.
Well, nothing, I'll show you how to make perfect baked ribs, obvious, ribs of pork.
Preparing pork ribs
You need to have 3 things:
- A good rack of pork.
- A Mix of spices.
- An amazing barbecue sauce. This last one is optional, because only with the mixture of spices you already have a delicious meal, but come on, we want these ribs to be unforgettable, that our guests die of pleasure, make the barbecue sauce yes or yes!
As a rule of a piece of about 12 ribs, eat 2 people (6 each). You can get with pieces whose ribs are small, then you would need more, or some larger ones that might fill you up faster.
Try to get a rib that has a good amount of bone and meat. Sometimes you go to the butcher shop and they sell you a piece that is almost all pure meat and although it sounds tempting it is not the idea, we want rib bones, right there is the flavor.
You can clean a little the excess fat of the ribs that you have acquired, but neither you go crazy removing it too much.
The mixture of spices
Well, here we enter the world of subjectivity and creativity . Everyone can prepare their own spice mix to make these baked pork ribs.
I'll explain what spices I use, and you can follow my recipe or you can use mine to inspire you and do the your own.
- Cumin: I love the aroma and flavor, it should not be too much because it does not make other flavors opaque.
- Romero: Another delicious spice that works very well with the pig. If you do not want to use cumin, you can use only rosemary.
- Freshly ground black pepper: Essential.
- White pepper: aromatic .
- Cayenne pepper: Gives you a spicy touch, it's optional.
- Garlic powder: No need to put a lot.
- Onion powder: Just like garlic powder, do not put it on so much.
- Brown sugar: a approximately teaspoon.
The barbecue sauce
Here you can also see the creativity of the person who is going to cook.
As a general rule, barbecue sauce I prepare it as follows:
1 cup Ketchup tomato sauce, ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce, 1 tablespoon honey, ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard (you can also use traditional mustard). ¼ chopped onion in small cubes, 1 clove of garlic, salt and pepper.
Saute the garlic and onion, add all the other ingredients and let it cook over low heat for 20 minutes, check the salt and when you have the thick consistency of a sauce remove from the fire and reserves.
You can also put chopped apples, a touch of orange juice, pieces of pineapple ... creativity is magic 🙂
Tips when cooking
Like not all ovens are the same, and since pork rib pieces can be more or less small, with more or less thickness, cooking times can vary, so you should be careful with this.
The essential thing you should know is that you should cook the pork ribs for approximately 4 hours at a temperature of 120-130ºC. Of these 4 hours, the first 2 and a half hours you will have them in the oven covered with aluminum foil.It should not happen, but there are treacherous ovens.
During the last 10 minutes you will bathe your pork ribs with the barbecue sauce that you prepared previously.
You can also bathe them from before, adding one layer every 30 or 40 minutes. But experience tells me that it's just 10 minutes before it's worth doing.
Also in these final minutes you can raise the temperature in the oven if you want the oven-baked ribs to have a brown color and finish. more "toasted", which is not the same as burned, careful.
Finally, the trick to know if they are ready: puncture the meat with a fork or a toothpick, if you do not feel resistance to the enter it is already there.
Anyway, after 4 hours of cooking, unless your oven is damaged, the pork ribs are going to be done.
Recipe for baked ribs
At the end of the post you have the printable version of this recipe.
- 1 pork rib (12 ribs approximately)
- 1 cup of barbecue sauce, homemade preferably
Mix of spices:
- Black pepper
- White pepper
- Cayenne pepper powder
- Milled cumin
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Brown sugar
- After checking that your piece of ribs is clean and without excess fat put salt on both sides.
- Prepare the mixture of spices: Put brown sugar, black pepper, cayenne pepper, cumin, rosemary, onion and garlic in the same container and mix well. Now simply toss them to the ribs evenly on both sides.
- Put the ribs in a container where they fit comfortably and leave them for an hour covered in the fridge.
- If you do not have a list ready barbecue sauce, take this moment to prepare it as I explained above.
- After 1 hour, preheat the oven to 120 degrees centigrade.
- Put the ribs on a large tray, where they fit comfortably, with the face that has more meat up.
- If you have a grid to raise them a little inside the tray, use it.
- Cover the tray with aluminum foil. Put in the oven and let it cook for 2 and a half hours approximately.
- After this period of time remove the aluminum foil and let it bake for 90 more minutes.
- About 10 minutes before the time expires, reopen the oven, remove the tray with the ribs and bathe them both sides with the barbecue sauce. You can help with a brush so that they are well impregnated.
- Put again the Bake ribs and raise the temperature to 200 degrees.
- Let cook 10 more minutes, watching that they do not start to burn.
- If you want more brown, cook them longer, but have care.
- Once ready, turn off the oven and simply remove your ribs, put them on a wooden board and take them to the table with an extra serving of BBQ sauce in a container for each person to put your craving.
Finally remember: eat them with your hands and suck your fingers later.
Other ways to season baked pork ribs
If you do not want to use barbecue sauce for your baked ribs, you can try one of these:
- As I said at the beginning, no sauce, only with the mixture of spices.
- To the pepper. Eliminate all spices of the preparation except black pepper and cayenne.The ribs with pepper are delicious but they sting.
- You can put them honey just 10 minutes before removing them from the oven.
- You can make a sauce of honey, soy and garlic cloves . This is very easy: sauté a couple of cloves of garlic, add honey and soy sauce and let it cook over low heat until it reduces. Throw it over the ribs in the last minutes of baking.
- Bake them in Hoisin sauce. This is a sweet soy sauce that the Chinese use for many of their recipes. It gets easy in any Asian supermarket.
Finally, remember not to abuse eating too many.
This is one of the recipes that gives more satisfaction to those who prepare. Accompany baked ribs with chips or a fresh salad.
Baked ribs recipe
Step by step recipe for that you can make the best pork ribs in the world.Bake for 2 and a half hours approximately.